Smoky Mountains Day 3 itinerary:
- Slept in (forecast of rain)
- 11:30 – stopped at NOC for a hat
- 12:00 – Alum trail to Mt. LaConte
- 7:00 – return to trailhead
- Return to hotel, made dinner
- Went to Morton Overlook for sunset
It was supposed to rain on Saturday, so we didn’t really hurry to get up and going. Turns out, that forecast was wrong and we probably could have gotten an earlier start.
We had noticed that there was an NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center) building on the border of the park just in Gatlinburg. I was unaware that NOC had physical stores – I thought they were an online only entity – but since it was there it got added to our list of things to do. We stopped in mainly just to browse, and because I wanted a less warm hat than the one I was forced to use the day before.